Did I ever mention that I love Italian food? I love the richness, the creaminess, and the deep flavors of risotto. Give me any type of risotto and I will be a satisfied customer.
People also know that I am a meat lover…I need to have it at lunch and I need to have some for dinner too…Yeah meat lover…but I must say I am absolutely satisfied with mushrooms. They’re earthy and yes, meaty ( I guess that’s why I don’t mind).
I had my friend over last night. I just wanted to see her to say goodbye as we will be gone for about 2 months. And I had arborio rice (a kind of risotto rice) in my cupboard and some dried wild mushrooms and of course that sounded ideal.
There were 3 of us and this is what I needed to make it. (As a side note though, there are 3 sets of ingredients)
Stock (you can use vegetable stock or do it my way)
- 2 ½ oz (about 100g) of dried mushrooms (I used a mix of chanterelle mushrooms, porcini mushrooms and morel mushrooms)
- 3 cups (750ml) of mushroom stock (obtained after simmering the dried mushrooms in 3 cups of water)
- 8 oz (225g) of brown mushrooms (button mushrooms)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons (30g) of butter
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- ¾ cup (175ml) dry white wine
- a few fresh mushrooms such as shiitake and oyster mushrooms rouhgly chopped
- 9 oz (250g) arborio rice (or other risotto rice)
- 5 tablespoons (75g) butter
- ½ cup (115 g) Parmesan cheese, grated
- chopped herbs (marjoram parsley and thyme)
There is nothing more gratifying and satisfying that an empty pan!